Buckthorn is an invasive, non-native plant species that threatens Minnesota's natural resources. It spreads very quickly and out-competes native plants for nutrients, light and moisture. It can also degrade wildlife habitat, serve as a host for pests and contribute to erosion, among other things. As a non-native plant, buckthorn interferes with natural ecosystems.
The city encourages residents to remove buckthorn from their property. By leaving it in your yard, particularly the female, berry-producing plants, there is a greater chance of it spreading.
Small seedlings can be removed by hand or by using a hoe. For larger shrubs up to 2.5 inches in diameter, a weed wrench is available for use through the city. Please call 651-730-2740 to reserve a wrench.
Residents may drop off their buckthorn for free at Public Works, 1900 Hadley Avenue North, 7:30 AM to 3 PM, from April 15 through October 15 pending weather. For details, please email Oakdale Public Works or call 651-730-2740.
Annual Buckthorn Curbside Collection Program
Every fall, the city offers a complimentary buckthorn curbside collection program for residents. Curbside collection dates for 2022 are below:
- September 20
- October 4
- October 18
Curbside Pickup Waiver
Residents who desire curbside buckthorn collection must complete a waiver by the Friday before the scheduled collection date for pickup. Below are the waiver submittal options:
- Online Form and Waiver for 2022 Buckthorn Curbside Collection
- PDF Form and Waiver for 2022 Buckthorn Curbside Collection
- Mail to City Forester, 1900 Hadley Avenue N, Oakdale, MN 55128 OR
- Bring completed form to Public Works (1900 Hadley Avenue N, Oakdale, MN 55128 )
Curbside Pickup Guidelines
- The pickup is restricted to only buckthorn .
- Piles should be no larger than 3.5 feet high, 3.5 feet wide, and up to 20 feet in length
- Piles need to be stacked with the cut ends aligned and to the curb.
- Piles must be accessible by a log loader truck and must be off of paved driveways.
- City Forester has the right to inspect and reject piles that don’t comply with the guidelines.
- Complete a collection waiver. Waivers must be filled out and received by the Friday before the scheduled collection date for pickup.
Annual Buckthorn Removal Project
The annual Scott Carver Buckthorn Removal project helps remove buckthorn within the Oakdale Nature Preserve. Details are as follows:
- Date: Saturday, October 15, 2022
- Time: 8 AM to 12 PM (Noon)
- Location: Discovery Center, 4444 Hadley Avenue North (Meet at pavilion)
- Volunteers of all ages are welcome. Ages 12 and under welcome with supervision. Water will be provided. Lunch served at 11 AM.
Contact Loren Cota, City Forester with questions and to sign up.
email@example.com or 651-501-5302