Get Help with Fair Housing

What to do if you have experienced housing discrimination

File a complaint with an investigating agency, at no charge to you. Anyone can file a complaint, including individuals and community organizations.

In Minnesota, there are two government agencies that can investigate your concern and establish whether illegal discrimination occurred.  If they find discrimination, they will see if an agreement can be reached. If no agreement is reached, the agency may filed a case against the person who discriminated against you. 

HUD (US Department of Housing and Urban Development)

 MDHR (Minnesota Department of Human Rights)

  • Investigates discrimination on the basis of race, sex, national origin, religion, familial status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, receipt of public assistance, and creed.
  • 651-539-1100 or 651-296-1283 for TTY
  • Learn More About Making a Complaint  

Before you contact either of the above organizations to file a discrimination complaint, it is helpful to have the following information ready:

  • Your name and address
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is against
  • The address of housing involved
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation
  •  A short description of the alleged violation

There are time limits to making a complaint. Generally, you have one year from the date of the discriminatory act to file a complaint.

Legal Advice and Representation

Additional Resources and Factsheets