Peddler / Solicitor / Transient Merchant
Due to COVID-19, the city is not accepting any solicitor permit applications at this time. Please contact the Licensing Division with questions.
- Peddler - Person who goes door-to-door selling and immediately delivering goods or services.
- Solicitor - Person who goes door-to-door obtaining or attempting to obtain orders for goods or services to be delivered at a later time.
- Transient Merchant - Person or business engaging in temporary business from a fixed location not more than four consecutive days.
Licensing / Solicitor Registration
- Peddler / Transient Merchant License / Solicitor Registration Application (PDF)
- Payment to the City of Oakdale - The City offers a quick and easy way to pay your license online.You may also pay by mail or in person with a check or cash.
Type of Registration/License Fee Solicitor Registration Fee No fee Peddler License Fee $157.50 (per quarter) Transient Merchant License Fee $157.50 (per quarter)
Licensing / Solicitor Registration Process
Once a completed application has been received by City staff, background investigations will be conducted. The licensing process will take two weeks or more.
License / Solicitor Registration Term
Existing Solicitors, Peddlers, and Transient Merchants are licensed / registered quarterly as follows:
- January through March
- April through June
- July through September
- October through December
Any organization wishing to extend their registration / license, must re-apply quarterly.
Although the City does not require the following individuals or businesses listed below to be registered or licensed, the City kindly asks to be notified prior to conducting work to help minimize concerns from residents.
- Persons who sell or peddle products from their personal farm or garden.
- Anyone conducting the type of sale commonly known as garage sales, rummage sales, or estate sales.
- Any Nonprofit, religious, political or educational organizations.
- Commercial travelers or selling agents in the usual course of business.
- Business conducted in conjunction of a city-sponsored event.
Hours of selling are 8 AM to 8 PM only. Peddlers / solicitors are restricted from premises that display "Peddlers and Solicitors Prohibited" signage.
Each person involved in the business activity must carry an approved license from the City of Oakdale or certificate of registration at all times while conducting work in Oakdale.