Massage Therapy & Bodywork
The City issues licenses to businesses and therapists wanting to provide massage therapy or bodywork services or to operate a massage therapy or bodywork establishment in Oakdale.
Application Requirements: New License
- Before you apply for a massage or bodywork premises license, please refer to the City's zoning map to ensure the location where you would like to conduct business is eligible for a premises license. You may also contact the City Planner at 651-730-2720 with any zoning questions.
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork License Application (PDF) All business partners must complete an application.
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork Supplemental Form (PDF) Must be completed by applicant’s spouse, officer, person in charge of premises, or any person(s) controlling or owning an interest in excess of five percent.
- Payment to the City of Oakdale - The City offers a quick and easy way to pay your license online.You may also pay by mail or in person with a check or cash.
Massage Premises License $157.50 Massage Premises Investigation $375.00 Public Hearing Notice (per notice posting) $30.00 Massage Practitioner License (per person) $36.75 Massage Practitioner Investigation (per person) $55.00
Application Requirements: License Renewal
License holders wishing to renew their license must re-apply annually. The license renewal process may take up to four weeks to complete.
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork License Renewal Application (PDF)
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork Supplemental Form (PDF) Must be completed if there has been a change in manager from the most recent license approval.
- Payment made to the City of Oakdale - The City offers a quick and easy way to pay your license online.You may also pay by mail or in person with a check or cash.
Massage Premises License Fee $157.50 Massage Practitioner License Fee $36.75 Late License Renewal Fee $50.00
Once a completed application packet has been received by City staff, applicants will undergo a background investigation conducted by the Oakdale Police Department, and a report will be submitted to the City Council. Please note that the licensing process may take 6-8 weeks for new applicants.
The term for new licenses is October 1 through September 30.
Not all persons and business entities are required to obtain a massage license to practice.
- Practitioners who are supervised by medical professionals licensed by the state to practice medicine, surgery, osteopathy, chiropractic, physical therapy, or podiatry, provided the massage is administered in the regular course of medical treatment.
- Beauty culturists licensed by the state, provided that the massages are limited to the head, hand, neck, and feet.
- Barbers licensed by the state, provided that massages are limited to the head and neck.
- Students participating in an educational massage therapy program at an accredited college providing therapeutic massage therapy under the direct supervision of a licensed massage therapist/bodyworks therapist, or licensed health professional under which massage is within the scope of their practice.