Plan Your Visit
Discovery awaits in the Oakdale Nature Preserve!
- Basketball & Tennis Courts - Shoot some baskets or play tennis at the courts found at the 4000 block of Granada.
- Binoculars - Check out a pair of binoculars for use in the Nature Preserve at no cost. Available for free through the Discovery Center’s loan program. Check out this item during building open hours.
- Discovery Backpack - This backpack contains everything a young explorer needs to discover the wonders of the Nature Preserve; binoculars, magnifying glass, compass, and guidebooks. Available for free through the Discovery Center’s loan program. Check out this item during building open hours.
- Geocaching - Begin a geocaching hunt with a list of local caches available upon request.
- Nordic Walking Poles - Invigorate your exercise by working upper extremities while walking. Available for free through the Discovery Center’s loan program. Check out this item during building open hours.
- Picnic - Pack a picnic lunch to enjoy at one of the two picnic shelters located in the Oakdale Nature Preserve.
- Playground - Slide, swing, and climb on playground equipment located at the 4000 block of Granada.
- Walking Trails - Grab a trail map and travel off the paved loop to seek out new areas of the 220‐acre Nature Preserve.
Take a Break Inside the Oakdale Discovery Center
- Aquarium - Watch the interaction of African Cichlids, Giant Danios, and Tetras as they swim among each other in the fish tank.
- Art Gallery - Enjoy the creative work of talented local artists. Come by often to see new artists being featured each 4‐8 weeks in the rotating art exhibit.
- Beehive - Buzz into the Discovery Room to view the busy bees tending to their hive from the safety of indoors.
- Book/DVD Swap - Trade like items in good condition; book for book, or DVD for DVD. No checkout process or red tape!
- Discovery Room - The wildlife exhibit room allows for a “hands-on” experience. The room features touch tables, puzzles, books, and interpretive activities.
Different Seasons, Different Activities to Enjoy!
- Forest Garden - Experience ecology, forest restoration, and horticulture in action in the heart of the Nature Preserve.
- Historic Schoolhouse - The Washington County Historic Society invites you to visit the Historic Schoolhouse during one of the open houses on select Sundays in the summer.
- Scavenger Hunt - Open your eyes to nature and discover new and exciting things! Prizes awarded (appropriate for ages 12 & under).
- Snowshoes - During the winter months, snowshoes are available during the Discovery Center regular hours. Rental rates are $5 per person for a two hour rental.
- Tandem Bike Riding - Bring your date, friend, or family member to try the bicycle built for two! Helmets are provided and required. Available for free through the Discovery Center’s loan program. Check out this item during building open hours.