As a pet owner, we know that you want what’s best for your pet. Below you’ll find the City information you need to ensure your pet is happy, healthy, and safe.

Backyard Chickens
Interested in raising chickens in your backyard? Please call the Oakdale Police Department at 651-738-1025 for complete details.

When dogs and cats leave their premises, they need to be leashed or under other physical control. Also, dogs need to be leashed when in City parks, especially in the Oakdale Nature Preserve, and on all other public land, with the exception of the Oakdale Bark Park.

Mutt Mitts
For your convenience, Mutt Mitts dispensers are provided in most City parks to easily collect and dispose of dog waste. Left on the ground, dog waste is not only unsightly but can pollute the water and also poses health risks.

Animals which “run at large” may be impounded by the Police Department whether they are licensed or not. It’s important to remember that not everyone enjoys the company of pets - even some other pets. Please take care so that your pet(s) does not disturb others or their property.

Number of Pets
Pet owners with more than three of any single type of domestic animal, over three months old, need to obtain a Special Use Permit from the Oakdale Police Department. Please call 651-738-1025 for complete details.

Oakdale Bark Park
An off-leash park, located off 50th Street, between Helena Road and Heather Ridge Road, opened in the Summer of 2017. The park offers a fenced area, benches, parking lot, and trails.

Pet Licenses
Dogs and cats over six months old or residing in Oakdale for more than 30 days need to wear a city-issued license. Licenses are available from the Oakdale Police Department, 1584 Hadley Avenue, during regular office hours (Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM). The pet license process must be done in person. A current certificate of rabies vaccination needs to be presented when submitting a pet license application:

Pet owners need to remove and properly dispose of pet droppings from their yard on a regular basis. Also, when taking your pet off your property, be sure to have something with you to pick up excrement and disposing of it in a trash receptacle.

Wild or Exotic Animals
Interested in owning wild or exotic animals? Please call the Oakdale Police Department at 651-738-1025 for complete details.